Tuesday, March 2, 2010

So Long.

It seems to me that these last days of winter are the longest of all, if not for lack of daylight. These are the days that seem to drag by so slowly as to suck the life out of me. I love winter, don't get me wrong. But my kids are itching to get outside and my dog is tired of the house, as well. The days can seem so long, and yet I still am not finding enough hours in the day to get things done. Bedtime can't come soon enough, and then I am sad when it comes and I've yet to accomplish what I set out to do that day. I'm grumpy, stressed, and, as someone's grandmother surely would have said, in a generally bad disposition.

These are the days when you realize you are sitting around, waiting for something to happen. That something is spring. Warm breezes and gentle rains. Green grass and birds singing. Flowers blooming and evening walks. Spring is just outside of your sight, but you know it's coming. So you wait. And you wait. And you wait. It is coming, isn't it?

I'm thinking about tomato plants. I've become obsessed with the thought. I'm sick to death of winter vegetables. I'm not a gardener, but these days? These days I dream about becoming one. Zucchini, onions, radishes, green beans, peppers. Ahhh, I think I've found the antidote to these long days. I've received a spring seed catalog. I'm eyeing a patch of yard, thinking about how well it drains; thinking about digging the dirt and planting something...delicious. You have to admit...even if you don't garden...don't these days make you wish you did?

No comments: