Thursday, January 15, 2009

15. To frog or not to frog

Remember this?






It's a nice scarf (although never finished). It is the Irish Hiking Scarf, in Lion Brand Wool, color - I can't remember - Olive? Sage? Oh well, a green of some sort.

Originally, it was to be a gift. That gift-giving opportunity is long gone and no longer necessary. It was good practice with cables (and so far the only cable project I've worked.) It's a little wide for a scarf, I think, or at least wide for what I prefer a scarf to be. It also is a little stiff. I knit pretty tightly. I can't think of anyone who I would give this scarf to.

I'm on a very tight yarn budget. I need mittens. Should I rip it back and make myself some good warm mittens? Do you ever rip back a nearly complete project to use the yarn for another one? This yarn was not expensive, and I'm sure I can buy more. But I'm really, really on a tight budget. I mean really. And I know what you're thinking - 'Didn't you just make mittens and give them away?'

Why, yes. Yes, I did. But they were a bit small for my hands and not as comfortable as I'd have liked, although the yarn itself did feel great. I'd like mittens for myself that don't have the flap - just a plain pair of warm wool mittens. This yarn would be great for that.

So-opinions, please.

Should I frog the scarf or not?

No comments: